The Constitution of: ALL for Dorset
Adopted on 16th January 2019
1. The name of the Alliance shall be ALL for Dorset (referred to as “ALL for Dorset” or “The Alliance” in this constitution)
2. ALL for Dorset is a local Branch of ALL (Alliance for Local Living) and of individuals who aim to improve democracy locally, generally in keeping with the principles set out in the book ‘Flatpack Democracy’ by Peter MacFadyen, with the aim that we will enable local people to have a greater say in the decisions that affect their lives.
3. ALL for Dorset will promote and honour the Ways of Working and Values of the Alliance for Local Living as defined in the ALL constitution.
4. ALL for Dorset will operate across Dorset within the new Dorset Council unitary authority area excluding Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.
5. Membership of ALL for Dorset will consist of Members of The Alliance for Local Living.
6. ALL Branches are led by a Steering Group (SG), consisting of not more than 15 members and meeting not less than four times a year. A quorum for meetings is four. Members of ALL are welcome to steering group meetings (no voting powers).
7. Members of the Branch SG will be members of ALL.
8. Members of the Branch SG will contribute to the ongoing work of the ALL Branch, in addition to participating in Branch SG meetings.
9. Members of the Branch SG may resign at any time by giving notice in writing to the Branch
10. Members are appointed to the Branch steering group by nomination from 2 other members of the ALL Branch. In the event of more than 15 nominations, appointments to the Branch SG will be done by secret ballot of the people in the room.
11. The Branch SG will have all lawful powers relevant to the attainment of ALL's purpose and Ways of Working.
12. The Branch SG can appoint subgroups and will agree the terms of reference, membership, strategy, operating plan and budget, which may change from time to time and are accountable to the Branch SG.
13. The Branch SG will appoint at any one time a number of spokespersons for the ALL Branch. No person may speak on behalf of the ALL Branch unless so appointed.
BRANCH STEERING GROUP MEETINGS
14. All designated members of a Branch will be invited to Branch Steering Group meetings, of which there will be a minimum of 4 per year.
15. Each meeting of the Branch Steering Group will be organised by an appointed member of the Branch SG and will make sure an agenda is issued to all members and that notes of the meeting are recorded and produced.
16. ALL candidates for election will commit to the Nolan Principles of Public Life and to this constitution. They will be interviewed by a panel appointed by the Branch SG.
17. No-one may stand for election under the ALL name and emblem(s) without the approval of the Branch SG and approval of the Nominating Officer
18. In the first 12 months from the 16th of January 2019 any alteration to this constitution must be approved by the ALL SG at an ALL Steering Group Meetings with a majority of two-thirds of members present for vote agree to the changes.
19. After this period changes to the constitution will be made at the ALL Annual General Meeting.
20. ALL for Dorset will have a bank account. Three members of the Branch SG will be approved as authorised signatories, to conduct transactions on the bank account on behalf of the ALL Branch.
21. All financial activities of ALL and ALL Branches will be conducted in accordance with the finance scheme approved by the Branch SG and with statutory requirements.
22. If the financial activity of the Branch is significant the Treasurer of the Alliance for Local Living will have the power to register a Branch as an accounting unit with the Electrical Commission.
23. ALL for Dorset shall hold one meeting a year that will be designated an Annual General Meeting for the branch.
24. All for Dorset Members shall be invited to attend, and notice will be given at least 21 days in advance of the meeting date.
25. ALL for Dorset will follow Brand guidelines published by The Alliance for Local living.
26. In the event of ALL for Dorset ceasing to have two members, or a decision is made to dissolve ALL for Dorset at a Steering Group meeting with a majority of two-thirds of members present ALL for Dorset will be dissolved. Any residual funds will be passed to The Alliance for Local Living.